For over 30 years, Paragon Vision Sciences has been committed to being the premiere manufacturer of quality gas permeable lenses to the eye care professional. We proudly design and manufacture Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses, which through orthokeratology technology is changing how many see the world. Our goal is to bring the joy of sight to customers around the world. Paragon Vision Sciences continues to evolve as a pioneer among contact lens manufacturers and still exhibits the same spirit of challenge, creativity and originality that the company was founded on.
Three Key Areas Where Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses Make An Impact
You diagnose myopia every day in your practice, but how often do you address the growing prevalence of myopia with your patients – especially in kids. In a recent survey conducted by Paragon Vision Sciences, more than 80% of responding Certified Paragon CRT® Contact Lens Eye Care Practitioners reported a growing increase in the prevalence of myopia within their practice and 60% believe the prevalence of myopia has reached epidemic levels. Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses are approved to treat myopia up to -6.00D with or withou 1.75D cylinder and is approved for all ages.
The 8 to 18 market, referred to as 'tweens and teens', who have myopia benefit from orthokeratology with Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses. Myopia usually begins in childhood at school age (six years and onwards) and can worsen until early adult years. This is known as youth-onset or juvenile-onset myopia. The onset of myopia at an early age brings with it the need for life-long eye care. Orthokeratology with Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses can provide adolescent patients who are not eligible for surgery with a proven treatment option for addressing myopia.
Don't assume all your patients are wearing their daytime soft contact lenses. A survey of previous and current contact lens wearers show a 39% dropout rate due to discomfort. Of these lens wearers 30% dropped out due to inconvenience and hassle, and an alarming 71% said they would probably or definitely not, return to wearing contact lenses.
Wearing Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses can eliminate the hassle and discomfort of daytime contact lens wear and provide a treatment option your patients will like. It's comfortable, it's convenient it's easy, and Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses are FDA approved for all age
Fitting Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses
Base Curve (BC)
The Base Curve, or Treatment Curve, is a central 6.0 mm fixed Optic Zone, and it's the radius of curvature that flattens the cornea to reduce the myopia. It is not used for centration purposes. The BC should be centered over the pupil, and the Refraction Over Lens (ROL) should be Plano to +/- 0.50D
Return Zone Depth (RZD)
The key elements to a successful orthokeratology fit is centration and central applanation. Both are accomplished through the Return Zone Depth. Since the BC will deviate from the cornea at the periphery of the Optical Zone it is necessary to redirect the lens back toward the cornea. This is accomplished by a 1.0 mm wide sigmoid curve, the RZD. The depth of the RZD can be varied in 25 micron increments, providing precise applanation or pressure to the cornea, resulting in effective treatment.
Landing Zone Angle (LZA)
The peripheral portion of the lens is called the Landing Zone. The LZA is a flat surface with a radius of infinity and can only meet the curved corneal surface tangentially. Simply select the angle of the Landing Zone to adjust the amount of edge lift.
Getting Certified for Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses
Before an eye practitioner can prescribe Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses, they must become a certified provider. Through tutorials on this website, you will have access to the training and education you need to become a Certified Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses Provider.
Once certified, you can select the best method to prescribe Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses for your practice:
Paragon CRT® Contact Lens Diagnostic Dispensing System 100 (recommended)
Paragon CRT® SureFit® Contact Lens Fitting & Dispensing System
Empirical fitting with or without the warranty exchange option
Your practice information will also be listed on the consumer website on our Find A Doctor page
First FDA approved overnight orthokeratology lens for all ages
FDA Approved June 2002
No age restriction
No adverse events reported in the clinical study of 410 eyes
FDA approval for myopia & oxygen permeability
Treatment up to -6.00D sphere
With or without astigmatism up to -1.75D
Paragon HDS®100 (101 Dk/EW) and Paragon Z CRT® (163 Dk / EW)
The Paragon CRT® Contact Lens Diagnostic Dispensing System
• Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses are the only orthokeratology product that offers a same day fit with our Diagnostic Dispensing System • Available in 100 or 136-lens systems • The Paragon CRT® Contact Lens Diagnostic Dispensing Systems reduce chair time and improves patient satisfaction when compared to other ortho-k product
Orthokeratology with Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses has a low amount of adverse events reported • Over 1.3 million Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses manufactured • Nine reported adverse events, all were resolved
Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses have been prescribed on more than 1.3 million eyes • The dropout rate for orthokeratology with Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses is >5%
Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses parameters are laser marked on each lens
• This significantly reduces the chances for error • The laser mark ensures Paragon CRT® Contact Lens authenticity
The average Paragon CRT® Contact Lens patient is between eight and eighteen years old1 • Over 75% of Paragon CRT® Contact Lens patients are ‘tweens and teens’2
Satisfied patients • 47% of new Paragon CRT® Contact Lens patients are referred by a satisfied Paragon CRT® Contact Lens wearers3
The Science Behind the Paragon CRT® Contact Lens Design and System
NASA Space Shuttle Mission
• Over a decade of research involving three space shuttle missions led to the development of Paragon HDS®100 (101 Dk / ISO ANSI). • This led to an advanced 101 Dk extended-wear, FDA approved contact lens material.
Engineered Paragon CRT® Contact Lens Design
• Designed with parallel or symmetrical anterior and posterior surfaces in three zones:
o Central spherical zone for targeted treatment
o Sigmoid “Return Zone” for corneal proximity
o A non-curving “Landing Zone”
• Proximity Control Technology™ allows the independence of each parameter. Changing the RZD and/or the LZA will not affect the BC. No other ortho-k design has this feature.
Strict Manufacturing and Quality Standards
• Paragon CRT® Contact Lens manufacturing standard tolerances are maintained at the micron level to ensure high quality lenses.
Paragon CRT® Contact Lens Education, Fundamentals
of Fitting, & Practice Management
Obtaining Paragon CRT® Contact Lens Certification • Paragon Vision Sciences provides online and in-person educational training and resources to become a Certified Paragon CRT® Contact Lens Practitioner. • Watch the tutorials and take the certification exam.
Fitting Explained Step-by-Step • Paragon Vision Sciences advanced clinical training resources aid in the development of the fundamentals necessary to manage a wide variety of clinical cases and grow the ortho-k segment of your practice.
Integrating Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses Into Your Practice • Paragon Vision Sciences offers a vast selection of in-office, online, electronic and social media marketing resources.
Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses Can Be The Right Choice For Your Practice
• It is reported that 39% of patients stop wearing soft contact lenses due to discomfort.4 • This makes orthokeratology with Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses especially beneficial to a practice experiencing high dropout rates with soft contact lens patients.
• Patients of all ages sleep in Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses and our patented process gently reshapes their corneas overnight. • Removing the Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses upon awakening and experiencing improved vision removes the problems associated with daytime contact lens discomfort, or wearing lenses that may feel dry or irritating throughout the day.
Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses can bring opportunity for your practice growth and patient retention.
• Refractive surgery has created a market of patients wanting freedom from glasses and daytime contacts without surgery.
• Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses set the standard for orthokeratology, not only with the first FDA approval for overnight correction, but also by offering a total system that includes a Paragon CRT® Contact Lens Diagnostic Dispensing System and a Complete Practice Management Program.
• With no age restrictions, Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses are a great option for active kids and teens that aren’t eligible for refractive surgery.
• Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses round out your practice and could be the perfect complement for refractive surgery and 30-day continuous wear lenses.
Become a Certified Paragon CRT® Contact Lens Professional
Paragon CRT® Contact Lenses are a unique opportunity to offer alternatives to traditional eye ware and eye surgery. Give your patients the opportunity to see better without expensive procedures and constant discomfort.
1. Paragon Vision Sciences Survey, Data on file, 2012 2. Paragon Vision Sciences Survey, Data on file, 2012 3. Paragon Vision Sciences Survey, Data on file, 2012 4. Jobson Survey, Paragon Vision Sciences, Data on file, 2014